The United States Daughters of 1812, founded in 1892, is a volunteer women's service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving and increasing knowledge of the history of the American people by the preservation of documents and relics, marking of historic spots, recording of family histories and traditions, celebration of patriotic anniversaries, teaching and emphasizing the heroic deeds of the civil, military, and naval life of those who molded this Government between the close of the American Revolution and the close of the War of 1812, to urge Congress to compile and publish authentic records of men in civil, military, and naval service from 1784 to 1815 inclusive, and to maintain at National Headquarters In Washington D.C., a museum and library of memorabilia of the 1784-1815 period.
January 8, 1892, by Flora Adams Darling. Incorporated by an act of Congress on February 25, 1901.
Liberty, Fraternity, and Unity.
Blue and Gray. The blue represents the color worn by the Navy during the War of 1812 and the gray represents the color worn by the Army.
The white carnation.
The insignia of the Society is a single star resting upon an anchor encircled with a narrow gold band - the Star of Hope upon the Anchor of Faith within the Circle of Friendship. The insignia is suspended from the blue and gray ribbon one and one-half inches wide. The blue represents the color worn by the Navy during the War of 1812 and the gray represents the color worn by the Army. Previous to this war army goods had been brought from England. When the war prevented the importation of such goods, they had to be manufactured in America. Some error in the dyeing process produced the bluish gray of our colors, the same gray which in now worn by the cadets at West Point.
Over 5,365 members, 42 state societies, and over 162 chapters.